SHUTTERING IN THE FRONT END WHEN BRAKING?

2001 Toyota Corolla

scottie555

June, 19, 2012 AT 1:01 PM

I have replaced both rotors and it didn't help so I bolted the rotors on and put a dial indicator on them. They both run within.002 inches. I tried shaking the axles with the dial on and they seemed ok. The axales turn fine so I don't think it is the bearings. I notice one strut on the front end is bad? I am also wondering if it has any thing to do with the ABS? It only shutters between 65kms/hrs to 45kms/hrs. Above and below that the brakes are smooth. There doesn't seem to be much pulsing in the pedal. It really shakes in the front end and up the steering wheel.

June, 19, 2012 AT 2:07 PM

How many section of the rotor did you measure? Sometimes the runout might be within specs but they can still cause vibrations depending on where and how the runout is.

If it is the ABS, you would feel something at the pedal. Did you check the wheels, bent rims can cause that as well.

scottie555

June, 19, 2012 AT 2:16 PM

I tried it in a couple of places across the face where the pads run. I feel a little pulsing in the pedal but only slighly. The vibration is mostly in the front end and steering. I never thought of a bent rim. I have an extra set with snow tires on. I can change them out and see if that makes a difference. Would it also make sense to unplug a fuse to the ABS and see if that makes a difference?

June, 19, 2012 AT 2:45 PM

Yes, you can try disabling the ABS to test.

You can swap the rear tires to the front for testing.

Replace Tie Rod End
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Leaf-Spring Squeak Repair - All Cars
Upper Control Arm Replacement
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado