MY TEMP GAUGE DISAPPEARS AFTER THE CAR HAS BEEN RUNNING FOR AWHILE? WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?

2001 Toyota Celica

sclark37138

May, 19, 2012 AT 1:49 PM

I purchased my Celica about a month ago and already had to put a different engine in it because it threw a rod through the engine block. Prior to the incident I noticed that the temp gauge dial disappears after the car has been running for awhile and it continues to happen.

I took the car in yesterday because the speedometer and odometer stopped working as well. While it was there they found a loose clamp and coolant had been leaking out. I have. To. Assume the car probably overheated some. Since the clamp has been replaced, the speedometer and odometer are working fine, but the temp gauge still disappears after it has been running.

I also have an issue where the odometer, fuel, and temp gauges are hard to see (but I have to assume that is only a burnt out bulb). They told me I need a whole new instrument cluster, but I'm concerned there may be an issue with the termostat or a sensor in the coolant system. Is this valid reasoning? What else would cause the temp gauge dial to disappear when everything else on the instrument cluster is working fine?

Temp Gauge

May, 19, 2012 AT 5:13 PM

I believe the meter cluster circuit for the temperature gauge is bad. You can remove the meter cluster and check the circuit board. Some resoldering might work as bad solders or a loose connection can cause such problems.
A bad coolant sensor would not affect the meter the way you described it.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser