ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

2001 Toyota Camry

Michael Potter

January, 26, 2014 AT 2:22 AM

When you are driving and put your foot on the brake or turn on either indicator the headlights and or the dash lights will dim considerably. The radio will also stop briefly and the cruise control often disengages. The battery still charges OK. I have checked all electrical connections including earths that I can find.

mldaniels2000

Would suggest taking to a parts store for a free charging system analyzing. You may have a bad diode in you alternator which will cause voltage drop on the battery because it isn't charging for excess demand on battery. Each alternator has 3 diodes that force alternating current (a/c) into direct current (d/c) for battery charging and car electrical system needs. When one diode goes bad it may not put on a charging indicator light because it is charging, just not efficiently.

Michael Potter

So it is possible for the battery to charge OK but when the car is running and is loaded when lights are being used, that the alternator is not coping because of a diode problem. Does it then need a replacement alternator?

mldaniels2000

Yes, replace alternator.

Michael Potter

January, 27, 2014 AT 12:59 AM

Thank you for the help you have provided. Just one last question. The camry has a Bosch alternator in it at present. Can I replace it with a Denso? It is the correct Denso for the camry, however I am not sure if the mountings will be the same. I am buying the replacement online as I live in a remote area.
Thanks again

mldaniels2000

January, 27, 2014 AT 5:37 AM

I can only find Denso compatible to that vehicle. Not sure of the Bosch.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon