DOESN'T IDLE DOWM PROPERLY

2001 Saturn SW2

rikvesp

November, 1, 2011 AT 9:47 PM

When I step on the clutch coming to a stop, the engine edge up to almost 2000 rpm and won't idle down until several seconds after I come to a complete stop. Of o am coasting downhill, it stays at a high rev.

Wrenchtech

November, 1, 2011 AT 9:57 PM

You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try eliminating any vacuum leaks and cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

saturntech9

November, 2, 2011 AT 3:51 AM

The saturn stick shift S models the idle can stay up while moving the way it idles down at a stop is a dead give away the computer is controling the idle like it should. If there was a idle problem it would be a problem while sitting still also.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars