ENGINE TROUBLE

2001 Saturn SL1

EIizabeth Vesely

July, 30, 2011 AT 1:55 PM

I have a 2001 Saturn Sl series. The car hesitates when you give it gas and bucks. The wires, plugs, O2 sensor, MAP sensor and fuel pump have been replaced. The CAT converter was checked and is fine. My mechanic has given up! The latest codes read fuel rich to bank 1 and secondary air injector system malfunction P0410. Not sure what the code means and the car has presented other codes which were addressed and not the problem. Please help, I just paid college tuition for my kid and would love to keep using the vehicle.

saturntech9

July, 30, 2011 AT 3:13 PM

Sounds like someone is throwing parts at the car that gets expensive real quick. Sounds like you need a new person to work on your car no one can afford someone that just throws parts a car. The map sensor and fuel pump hardly ever fail on those cars especially back to back. What is the exact code number you have with your system rich not the code description but the code number?I would try replacing the coolant temp sensor they go bad all the time and usually never set any codes when they do. They cause all kinds of syptoms also if the coolant temp sensor connectors terminals are blue or green you will have to replace the connector also.I would also find a different shop to look at your air injection code someone who wont replace the whole air injection system trying to fix the problem. Also how did you test the cat did you have a back pressure test done?The coolant temp sensor are only 10 that would have been his cheapest guess.

saturntech9

July, 30, 2011 AT 3:15 PM

So why did he say it need all those other parts especailly the fuel pump and map sensor back to back?