WONT START =/ HELP!

2001 Saturn SC2

msmarie

October, 17, 2011 AT 4:34 AM

It wont start but 1/10 times. I wont hear anything. I have to wiggle the key and the wheel to get the key to even turn. The lights, radio, etc all work. I can sometimes push to start it but very rarely. I took out the starter and had it tested several times and it passed with flying colors. I also had he battery tested and that was also fine. PLEASE HELP!

saturntech9

October, 17, 2011 AT 4:40 AM

Sounds like you have two problems a worn out key and or ignition cylinder. Also sounds like a bad starter also I know you removed the starter and it tested good but doesnt mean you dont have a bad starter solenoid sometimes not working causing the starter not to work.I have seen that many times and its very common on those cars. Most of the time when the solenoid gets hot it fails. Do you have a test light to do some testing?

saturntech9

October, 17, 2011 AT 4:41 AM

Also have you made sure the battery cables are clean and tight?

rivermikerat

October, 17, 2011 AT 4:43 AM

It sounds like the ignition lock cylinder/switch is going bad. Download the image I attached and change the extension to. Pdf.

msmarie

October, 17, 2011 AT 4:51 AM

I tried my spare key which has never been used and is fine and the same responce. Yes I have a test light? I did clean off the cables they were a little bad but not much.

msmarie

October, 17, 2011 AT 4:53 AM

Rivermikerat: I dont know how to do that.=/

saturntech9

October, 17, 2011 AT 5:01 AM

I doubt the ignition switch is causing the starter to be inop.I have replaced a ton of starters but cant really remember replacing a bad ignition switch on those cars for a no start. But if you want to test the switch clamp the aligator clip to a good ground on the test light when the starter is inop. Then see if there is power to the yellow wire coming off the ignition switch with switch plugged in. If you have power its not the switch. Then remove the intake tube to the throttle body when the starter is inop. Then groung the aligator clip to a good ground then carefully see if there is power to the small purple wire to the starter solenoid see if there is power to it when trying to start the car when the starter is inop if you have power and everything is clean and tight bad starter.

rivermikerat

October, 17, 2011 AT 5:18 AM

I'm going to hand this over to Saturntech because he is factory-trained and my factory training was with Dodge and (I hate to admit) Ford.

But, right click the file I uploaded. Select Save File/Image As. Put it on the desktop. Left click the file, wait a second and click it again. The filename will blink in blue. Click at the end, backspace out the jpg and type in pdf. Hit enter. You now have a viewable pdf file which you can double click to view/read.

rivermikerat

October, 17, 2011 AT 5:21 AM

The spare key is probably still in new condition, with the edges nice and sharp still, unlike the key you use on a regular basis. Because of this fact, when inserted, it is still able to line the pins up inside the lock cylinder, allowing it to rotate without having to wiggle the key. Wiggling the key to turn the ignition cylinder causes the pins to line up properly, allowing the cylinder to turn.

msmarie

October, 17, 2011 AT 5:27 AM

Inop means? And ok I will do all that tomorrow. Will I be able to talk to you again tomorrow?

saturntech9

October, 17, 2011 AT 5:34 AM

Inop means not working when the starter is not working like you were talking about. Also do you have a multimeter?I will be around to talk to tomorrow. So let me know what you find.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test