WHEN CHANGING GEARS ONCE THE CLUTCH IS DEPRESSED...

2001 Renault Laguna

richybrophy

When changing gears, once the clutch is depressed, a loud whistling noise occurs, and once the gear is engaged and the pressure removed from the clutch pedal the whistling noise ceases. This occurs up to 4th gear and includes engaging the reverse gear. If the engine is running hot it mostly does not occur at all.

mhpautos

January, 28, 2013 AT 12:25 AM

Sounds like a faulty clutch thrust bearing, can you feel any vibration in the clutch pedal if you push it down slowly?

richybrophy

Many thanks for your response mhpautos.
No, there are no vibrations. The gear changes are smooth, as is the power delivery.
The volume of the whistling noise seems to be relative to how far down the clutch is depressed.
I was researching it a bit yesterday and some threads I looked at suggested a faulty clutch valve.
Would this make sense?
Do you know if it is a difficult thing to fix?

mhpautos

January, 29, 2013 AT 7:52 AM

I would be fairly sure that it will be the thrust bearing, but as the noise is in the clutch the box will have to come out.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service