When changing gears, once the clutch is.

RICHYBROPHY
  • 2001 RENAULT LAGUNA

When changing gears, once the clutch is depressed, a loud whistling noise occurs, and once the gear is engaged and the pressure removed from the clutch pedal the whistling noise ceases. This occurs up to 4th gear and includes engaging the reverse gear. If the engine is running hot it mostly does not occur at all.

Sunday, January 27th, 2013 AT 10:58 PM

MHPAUTOS

Sounds like a faulty clutch thrust bearing, can you feel any vibration in the clutch pedal if you push it down slowly?

Monday, January 28th, 2013 AT 12:25 AM
RICHYBROPHY

Many thanks for your response mhpautos.
No, there are no vibrations. The gear changes are smooth, as is the power delivery.
The volume of the whistling noise seems to be relative to how far down the clutch is depressed.
I was researching it a bit yesterday and some threads I looked at suggested a faulty clutch valve.
Would this make sense?
Do you know if it is a difficult thing to fix?

+1
Monday, January 28th, 2013 AT 11:01 PM
MHPAUTOS

I would be fairly sure that it will be the thrust bearing, but as the noise is in the clutch the box will have to come out.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Tuesday, January 29th, 2013 AT 7:52 AM