WHENEVER I PUT MY CAR INTO GEAR THE LIGHTS FLASH...

2001 Pontiac Sunfire

mill5986

February, 4, 2013 AT 7:56 PM

Whenever I put my car into gear the lights flash, then the service light comes on. Then my lights won't work till the car warms up. What is the cause of the problem?

Jacobandnickolas

February, 4, 2013 AT 9:07 PM

Which lights are flashing? Have you had the computer scanned?

mill5986

February, 4, 2013 AT 11:03 PM

The head lights flas, and they tried but for some reason it would work.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 5, 2013 AT 1:55 AM

If the headlights are flashing, it sounds like it is related to the security system. Does the vehicle have a factory or aftermarket security system?

mill5986

February, 5, 2013 AT 1:58 AM

Not that I am aware of. There is a red light that flashes when the car is locked so I don't think there is.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 5, 2013 AT 2:02 AM

If there is a red light that flashes when the car is locked, it sounds like you have a security system. Is it a factory light that is flashing or something that was added?

mill5986

February, 5, 2013 AT 2:33 AM

The factory light

Jacobandnickolas

February, 6, 2013 AT 1:55 AM

I think you have a problem with the vehicle alarm system. I hate to say it, but you need to have that checked by a dealer. They have the proper equipment to test and analyze the system, Most small shops won't have what is needed because of cost.

mill5986

February, 6, 2013 AT 2:05 AM

But will the alarm system mess with the head lights? Will the alarm system not let the head lights turn on, until the car warms up? Even when I try to turn the high beams on they dont stay on, I have to hold the switch down until the actual head lights come on.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 6, 2013 AT 2:46 AM

No, it won't cause that. It sounds like the multi function switch may be bad. I thought they were flashing.

mill5986

February, 6, 2013 AT 4:16 AM

Yea they only flash when I put the car into gear. When I turn the lights on they dont turn on, but once I put the car in gear they come on and flash. Then they turn off, until I let the car sit for awhile.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service