ASAP HELP PLEASE

2001 Pontiac Montana

tommy

December, 1, 2010 AT 3:59 AM

I have a pontiac montana 2001 3.4L and I replaced the starter connected it bac up now it wont start but I got power doesnt even click could it be a bad silenoid or is it possible to wire the starter back up wrong please help

Jacobandnickolas

December, 1, 2010 AT 4:03 AM

Have a helper turn the key to the start position while you check for power to the smaller wire on the starter. You should be getting 12+ volts. Let me know what you find.

tommy

December, 1, 2010 AT 4:07 AM

Im getting 12 volts no noise still im clue less its a junk yard starter no money for a new one 179 dollars my only conclusion is the silenoid does any of this make sense to u thank u for quick feed bac im stranded

Jacobandnickolas

December, 2, 2010 AT 12:07 AM

If you are getting 12 volts to the smaller wire, it should be working. The starter sounds bad. To confirm, remove the starter and have it bench tested at a parts store.

tommy

December, 2, 2010 AT 3:05 AM

Will do first thing thank u
what about the instrument panel jumping around? Any thoughts to that? Could that be related to the starter or the voltage regulator?

Jacobandnickolas

December, 2, 2010 AT 1:06 PM

It could be an issue with the voltage regulator or a bad connection behind the dash. However, these vehicles are known to have issues with the inst. Cluster. It would need checked by a dealer.

tommy

December, 3, 2010 AT 3:06 AM

Thank u will do. The wires that lead to the ignition and to the starter have a short in the wire so I need to replace that. Thanks for all the help its appreciated. The starter got checked and came back good the diodes in the altenator are also bad I pulled that as well and had it checked thanks again.

Jacobandnickolas

December, 3, 2010 AT 1:33 PM

Glad to help. Let us know if you have questions in the future.

Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide