HOW DO I KNOW WHICH DRIVE AXLE TO REPLACE?

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix

ndv

November, 3, 2011 AT 11:30 PM

Vehicle vibrates in right turn, not left turn. Vibrates upon acceleration, but not when coasting. Both bearing assemblys have been replaced, motor mounts are good. Seems to be a drive axle/CV issue. I just need to know how to tell which axle to replace. Left or right?

November, 3, 2011 AT 11:38 PM

You need to get underneath it and inspect for damages/looseness

ndv

November, 4, 2011 AT 12:50 AM

Sorry, I should have added that all CV boots are in good shape. But I guess what you are saying is get underneath and try and see if the axels can be moved to see which one may be worn. Am I correct in diagnosing it as a probable drive axel problem?

November, 4, 2011 AT 1:18 AM

Twist the Joint around up and down and side to side check for excessive looseness-also the play between the tranny and axle

ndv

November, 4, 2011 AT 1:30 AM

OK, thanks for your help.

November, 4, 2011 AT 8:31 PM

Let me know what's happening

ndv

November, 4, 2011 AT 10:36 PM

I put the car up on a lift and twisted pushed and pulled on both axels today and the left on was noticably looser. My brother and I replaced it in about three hours (with much checking of the repair manual) we got it changed. There is no more vibration or noise. Problem solved, thanks. If you wouldn't have suggested getting underneath and trying to push and pull to check I probably would have changed the wrong one based on everything I had read.

Axle Seal Replacement
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Differential Fluid Change Ford F250
Differential Fluid Drain/Refill
Differential Fluid Level Check