IGNITION KEY WON'T TURN

2001 Pontiac Aztek

Mike Griffith

March, 13, 2011 AT 9:09 PM

I have a 2001 Pontiac Aztek and the ignition key (with chip) will not turn in the ignition, we only have the one key any suggestions? Do you think it's a problem with the chip in the key, or ignition or security? It's a two sided key and I've tried both ways. The key will lock and unlock the drivers door. The car is parked in the driveway with a slight decline and the front wheels are straight. I can't turn the key or get the steering wheel to move more than 1" either way, also it will not move out of Park. The key/ignition was working fine 2 days ago.

Can't Remove Ignition Key

97 Country Ignition Switch

March, 13, 2011 AT 9:15 PM

Could be the ignition switch cylinder lock-

PROTECH1980

March, 13, 2011 AT 9:17 PM

The key is probaly worn out, alot of times what I do is spray a little penetrating oil (wd-40) inside the tumbler, insert key and *LIGHTLY* tap on key with a small hammer while turning the key. Give this a shot This is a temp fix your going to have to get a key and possible tumbler.

Gayle Sowell

June, 22, 2012 AT 11:11 AM

Mike, what did you find out about the car ignition. My son's car is doing exact same thing. I am trying to find out what it might be because he is parked behind my van and I cant get out of the driveway without take a ramp down. We tried the wd 40. Didnt do anything.

darrellbarr

September, 9, 2012 AT 6:04 PM

I had this problem. It was a wire in the console. It was broken. It's like a safety nutral switch? ( It was telling the car that is NOT in Park, so the KEY wont turn) if the wire is off. It can be fixed. Check the stickk shift wires. Good luck.I fixed mine with a friend. We soldered the wire back into place. No problem since.

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide