STALLING OUT AND NOT IDLING????!!!????

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette

jessica3637

September, 17, 2012 AT 5:20 PM

I have a 2001 Silhouette Oldsmobile that is stalling out and having troubles idling, it seems like. When I am driving around town, around 35 or 45 mph, the van will start to shake and sputter. Sometimes the exhaust will "pop". When this happens, the rpm's will jump up to 5000rpm and then drop fast down to 1000 or turn off completely. I have taken it to a mechanic and they have changed the fuel pump and the catalytic converter, then he says well maybe the gas gage it messing up. I need help! Still having the same problems, nothing has changed. Do not want to take it back to this MECHANIC!

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

September, 17, 2012 AT 5:55 PM

How long since a tune-up? Any applicable trouble codes? Check anything that has to do with idle air system. Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free. Or you can use an obd2 code reader. Are you handy under the hood?

jessica3637

September, 17, 2012 AT 6:07 PM

I got the van from my mother after my little brother blew a head gasket. I have had the motor rebuilt, the transmission worked on, the fuel pump replaced and the catalytic converter. I have not had a tune up yet. My husband is handy under the hood to some extent, but not an expert. There are no codes to check, the check engine light never comes on. It just sputters and then cuts off in the middle of the road and I am scarred to drive it.

September, 17, 2012 AT 8:35 PM

I understand. I always check for codes even if the lite isn't on.

jessica3637

September, 18, 2012 AT 12:18 PM

The same mechanic that has been replacing parts as he sees fit, is the one that told me that he couldn't check the codes if the light wasn't on. I should of known it was BS. I am trying to find a new mechanic to take it to, but I feel like I am getting stiffed every time I take it to a licensed mechanic! Someone suggested to check the mass air flow sensor, but I don't know where it is and neither does my husband.

September, 18, 2012 AT 4:03 PM

The maf sensor is in the duct-work that leads to the air-filter, left front of engine.

As far as codes, I've had inactive codes point me in the right direction. A lot of places won't check codes unless the lite is on.