MY 2001 OLDSMOBILE INTRIGUE 6 CYL IS NOT ...

2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue

Anonymous

My 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue, 6 cyl, is not starting. The battery is fine as it was replaced a month or two ago, and the alternator was checked at that time as well. My lights, radio, windows, wipers will work fine, but when I turn the key in the ignition. Nothing. The engine doesn't even try to turn over.

This is a fairly recent problem, only the last month or so, and typically the car will decide to start up later for no apparent reason. Unfortunately, it's been almost 5 days now and the car still isn't starting.

A side issue that may be related is that the car has a history of losing RPM's while I'm driving it. It's always within the first 5 miles or 10 minutes. If I'm at a stop or coasting the car will die and be difficult to start; if I'm using the gas I can usually floor it (even though the speed doesn't increase) and this will keep the car from dying on me, and it won't be an issue for the rest of the drive.

Any suggestions or insights would be useful. Please keep in mind that I'm far from a car junkie, I'm just trying to do some research so that I don't get ripped off by the mechanic. Thank you!

January, 5, 2013 AT 1:26 AM

I would bet on the starter motor has failed. Try tapping it with a hammer to see if it makes it run

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes Benz
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3
Coolant Drain and Refill