YES I OWN A 2001 OLDSMOBILE ALERO AND I WAS ...

2001 Oldsmobile Alero

ChristianB

January, 2, 2013 AT 5:51 AM

Yes, I own a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero, and I was driving when suddenly my RPMS and power steering went out. My car still has power, but when I go to crank it it makes a popping sound and my dashboard lights go off until I let off the ignition. Please help! Someone told me it might be an anti theft lock?

saturntech9

January, 2, 2013 AT 6:00 AM

Sounds like the belt came loose or the alternator stopped charging.

ChristianB

January, 2, 2013 AT 6:05 AM

I figured it might be one of those problems as well. If it was my alternator though, wouldn't I have no power? I also checked the belts and they are a little loose, but I don't think they would be loose enough to keep the car from coming on. I'm gonna head back over to where I parked it in the morning and see if I can fix it.

ChristianB

January, 2, 2013 AT 6:07 AM

One of my friends also owns an Alero, and he said that they have problems with the anti theft lock system. Could that be the problem?

saturntech9

January, 2, 2013 AT 6:38 AM

Anti theft won't cause the car to die while driving also even if the alternator goes bad you could still have some power left in the battery.

ChristianB

January, 2, 2013 AT 6:44 AM

Oh ok that makes sense. We'll thank you very much for your help, and I'll see about getting my alternator replaced tomorrow. Oh one more question, could it be the serpentine belt? I know that if it messes up, it makes the alternator stop working as we'll as the power steering. The belt itself wasn't broken I don't believe, but could cracks in the belt cause it to become faulty? Thanks so much for your help.

saturntech9

January, 2, 2013 AT 7:21 AM

The alternator has to be tested don't just replace it when the belts start to crack heavily I replace them. Have the battery charged and tested. Also do you have a multi meter to do some testing?

ChristianB

I don't think it's the alternator. I think the engine got locked up. : (

saturntech9

Any oil in the engine?Can you turn the engine over by hand?

ChristianB

No there was basically no oil in the engine, but I put two quarts in assuming the oil sensor shut the car down. Still nothing. And I believe I can, I'll have to try tomorrow.

saturntech9

January, 3, 2013 AT 2:01 AM

Keep me posted.