2001 OLDSMOBILE ALERO SERPENTINE REPLACEMENT HELP!

• HelpMe!123
  • 2001 Oldsmobile Alero

I've been trying to change the serpentine belt on a 2001 oldsmobile alero. All the pulleys are ligned up just like the diagram shows, new belt, the tension arm needed to be and was replaced, but it still keeps popping off when I start the car.

Why would this be? One of the bottom pulleys seems to stick out more than the others which causes the next pulley in line to have the belt be hanging off a bit, could this be the problem? Could it be misaligned or something?

Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 6:36 AM

• saturntech9

Yes that pulley sticking out further causing the to hang off a bit could cause the belt to be thrown off. Which pulley is sticking out further then the other one's?

Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 7:35 AM
  • HelpMe!123

Thank you for the answer! It's the crankshaft I believe. I'm not really car savy but from what the diagram I have says it should be the crankshaft. Out of the two on the bottom it's located under the belt tensioner arm.

Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 2:07 PM
  • saturntech9

It look's like the crank shaft pulley so why did you replace the belt tensioner?Was the belt popping off before you changed the belt tensioner when starting?

Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 6:08 PM