2001 Nissan Frontier turn signals/hazards

MBORROR
  • 2001 NISSAN FRONTIER
Every time I try to use my blinkers or hazards, the fuses for them blow. It used to only blow every couple weeks but now they'll blink once before the fuses are done. However, whenever I lock my truck, the lights will still flash. I'm not too good with electrical stuff so I'm needing some help. Thanks.
Tuesday, July 15th, 2014 AT 7:02 PM

A simple trick to finding a short is to replace the blown fuse with a pair of spade terminals, then use small jumper wires to connect them to a 12 volt light bulb. A brake light bulb works well. When the circuit is live and the short is present, the bulb will be full brightness and hot so be sure it's not laying on the carpet or against a plastic door panel. Now you can unplug electrical connectors and move things around to see what makes the short go away. When it does, the bulb will get dim or go out.

You may run into an additional clinker in that the flasher may not operate with the added resistance of the test bulb, or it may START to work properly because there will no longer be a short circuit. Given that the problem has steadily gotten worse, look first for wires that have rubbed through the insulation. A common cause is chewed up wires for the trailer connector.
Tuesday, July 15th, 2014 AT 7:29 PM
MBORROR
It's mainly only gotten worse in rain. I've noticed this morning that the fuses only tend to blow when it its damp out, rains, etc. My truck has other problems while its cold/wet out, such as power steering problems and a loud clunking noise when I make a hard left turn, but that's a story for another day. So the point of this is, my truck very much disagrees with cold and wet weather, and I don't know a whole lot on what to do about it.
Wednesday, July 16th, 2014 AT 7:22 AM
Did you read my reply? Use the light bulb trick when it's damp out or raining. If you have a trailer wiring harness, look at those wires. Any corrosion will be affected by water and can make a short act up more.
Wednesday, July 16th, 2014 AT 9:25 PM