AIR CONDITIONING

2001 Nissan Frontier

originalnoob

June, 23, 2011 AT 9:34 PM

Do I need to flush a/c system before I add oil to it?

A/c

Air Conditioning

caradiodoc

June, 23, 2011 AT 10:24 PM

Why are you adding oil?

originalnoob

June, 23, 2011 AT 10:25 PM

Air not cooling compressor comes on and off

caradiodoc

June, 23, 2011 AT 10:45 PM

That has nothing to do with the oil in the system. It is likely low on refrigerant. That is common for a ten-year-old vehicle. When it's just low, the performance can often be improved by just adding one can of refrigerant but that is not a job for an inexperienced do-it-yourselfer. Escaping refrigerant can freeze eyeballs and cause frost bite very quickly. Professionals will wear safety glasses at a minimum and most wear gloves and a face shield.

If any part of the system has been opened to outside air or the refrigerant is totally gone, it will have to be pumped into a vacuum for at least half an hour to boil any moisture out. Water and refrigerant combine to form an acid that corrodes metal parts. No oil needs to be added unless a part has been replaced. When any part is replaced that leaves the system exposed to air, it is common procedure to replace the receiver / drier too.

originalnoob

June, 24, 2011 AT 1:59 AM

Thank you for your help. I'll have to take it in to a shop. Appreciate your assistance

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Cabin Air Filter Replacement