THE TIMING BELT ON MY CAR RECENTLY WENT OUT ...

2001 Mitsubishi Galant

Anonymous

March, 2, 2013 AT 10:29 PM

The timing belt on my car recently went out causing it to stop running. I am in the process of deciding whether I should get it fixed or leave it as is and work towards getting another car. If I decide to get the timing belt fixed, it would cost about $600 for parts and labor. However, the car is also in need of a new manifold converter, and brakes. So even if I were to get the timing belt fixed, I would still have to do more repairs later on.

So basically my question is, based on mileage, and amount of maintenance repairs it needs should I pay for the repairs or leave it parked and get another one?

March, 2, 2013 AT 10:43 PM

If you are on the fence now, consider this. The belt failing may have bent valves in the motor and could add up to 1500 in repairs.

That alone may make up your mind

March, 2, 2013 AT 10:45 PM

Unless you can get another car for $600 go for it, if not have it repaired- for the amount of mileage and other maintenances I'll get another car-my opinion

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML