EXTREME ENGINE SMOKE

2001 Mercedes Benz CL55

SMITTY600

December, 11, 2010 AT 1:14 PM

No visible sign of oil leak but engine smokes terribly when running. The car is a CL600 Mercedes 2001 with only 70k on it.

mhpautos

December, 11, 2010 AT 1:22 PM

What colour is the smoke, black, blue or white? The colour will help indicate possible causes.

mmprince4000

December, 11, 2010 AT 1:24 PM

It smoke coming from engine when you open hood or from exhaust?

SMITTY600

December, 11, 2010 AT 1:51 PM

SMOKE COMES FROM EXHAUST AND VARIES IN COLOR AND IS QUITE HEAVY

mhpautos

December, 11, 2010 AT 2:01 PM

Try and determine the most prominent colour, this is important, black over fuel, blue oil burning, white/Grey coolant in the combustion chamber.

SMITTY600

December, 11, 2010 AT 2:34 PM

I was having it repaired for hydrulic leak and when done noticed smoke. Smoke became quite heavy after a while and is blue and white in color. It was night when I went to pick it up. The guy at the shop thinks its an internal oil leak or spillage from recent filling.

SMITTY600

December, 11, 2010 AT 9:52 PM

Repair shop guy thinks its an overflow of oil at best or internal engine leak at worst. What can be done to repair this car?

mhpautos

December, 11, 2010 AT 10:55 PM

First thing to do is make sure all levels are correct and get any leaks fixed, smoke out the exhaust is internal problems, if the engine oil is very much over filled this can smoke, check this first and correct the levels, start here.

SMITTY600

December, 12, 2010 AT 12:08 AM

Repair guy says he'll run engine awhile to burn any spilled oil off and check level. If level decreases he says there is internal leak and engine will possibly need replacement(expensive). How about a rebuild or gasket repair?

mhpautos

December, 12, 2010 AT 1:15 AM

Can't comment until the exact problem has been identified, sounds like this mechanic is not very sure about what he is doing, I think its time to find one that does.

SMITTY600

December, 13, 2010 AT 10:47 PM

Mechanic says all levels are correct and he is now going to run car for awhile to burn off any extra oil that may have spilled over. Is this a good idea that will not cause any damage?

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla