SQUEALING AND SMELLING BURNT

• twitchfamily
  • 2001 Mazda Protege

I have a 2001 Mazda protege. It has been making a squealing sound for a couple of years. Someone told us it was the belt and we replaced that (2.5 years ago) but it still makes that sound. Recently it started making a hovering sound (couple of weeks ago)

Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 9:44 PM

• fixitmr

Maybe, what does it smell like, rubber or oil?

Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 10:12 PM
  • fixitmr

We what? Got cut off.

Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 10:17 PM
  • twitchfamily

We replaced the belt 2.5 years ago but still makes squealing sound. Recently it started to make a hovering sound (couple of weeks) and then today when my husband parked it started to smoke. It looked like it was coming from the front passenger tire area. Someone said it might be the brakes and someone else said it might be a radiator leak.

Tuesday, March 13th, 2012 AT 1:03 AM
  • twitchfamily

We did not notice any smell.

Tuesday, March 13th, 2012 AT 1:04 AM
  • fixitmr

If it is brakes wheel will throw off heat and be burning hot to touch. If anti freeze it will have a smell.

Tuesday, March 13th, 2012 AT 3:54 AM
  • fixitmr

You mean belt replace did NOT cure squeal? Does it sueal all the time or mostly after starting.

Tuesday, March 13th, 2012 AT 3:55 AM
  • twitchfamily

My husband said it did have a tar smell, but I didn't notice. Replacing the belt did NOT fix the squeal. It use to only squeal at start up in 1st gear, but now it squeals more often and even up into 3rd gear, but most after it has been started. Next time I drive I will check the tire for heat and lift the hood to see if we can get a better idea of where the smoke is coming from.

Tuesday, March 13th, 2012 AT 5:21 AM
  • fixitmr

Did you replace belt or have someone do it? Does it have a spring tensioner pulley?

Tuesday, March 13th, 2012 AT 5:30 AM
  • twitchfamily

We replaced the belt ourselves but couldn't get it tightened all the way so took it somewhere to get it tightened to the right tightness. We just took it into les shwab today they said the brakes were fine. So how do we check for a radiator leak? Where is the radiator?

Tuesday, March 13th, 2012 AT 10:07 PM
  • fixitmr

Radiator is across front of car behind grill. If you have AC there are 2 of them. 1 closest to motor has coolant for motor. Dont know how this could be related to squeal though.

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 5:54 PM