Air conditioning blowing hot air

BUD.812
  • 2001 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL
Air conditioning charge level shows good, compressor kicking on as should, however it is blowing hot air. Any idea's for a back yard mechanic? Makes no difference on temperature control setting.

Thanks.
Friday, July 20th, 2012 AT 4:59 PM

Check the actuators in your heater, they control air temperature as well as direction. The temperature one may be stuck or not working. It can be vacuum or electric. I will send a generic picture along.
Friday, July 20th, 2012 AT 7:02 PM
JACKCAIN
I had this happen to me. 2002 Lincoln Continental. Try to raise the temperature to max (90) as if turner on the heater. This actuates the something, something. Lower the temperature back to cool the car; the a/C should work if system is charged. This has happened a couple times to me it corrected the problem. Good Luck. Jack
Monday, August 6th, 2012 AT 9:25 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
When you move the vent selector does it change where the air comes from? When you move either of the selectors, can you hear parts moving inside the airbox?
Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 2:38 AM
SQWEEKERS
You rock! This worked for me! Thank you. Saved me a diagnostic charge at the least. Sent it up to 90 top setting for about one minute, dropped it down and boom kicked in! Thanks again!
Monday, July 13th, 2015 AT 8:04 AM
DA_WIMP2
How many actuators are there? I have a 2002 Continental with the same issues.
Monday, May 14th, 2018 AT 10:26 PM
DA_WIMP2
@RIVERMIKERAT. The direction does not change and I have not heard anything moving over the sound of the A/C blowing, but I really was not listening either.
Monday, May 14th, 2018 AT 10:30 PM
KEN
This system is half electric and half vacuum operated. So I would check the vacuum line under the hood to make sure it is getting vacuum. Here are the blend door actuator locations as well.

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Thursday, May 17th, 2018 AT 11:27 AM