Transmission overdrive rx300

TUCKER12
  • 2001 LEXUS RX 300

Rx300 won't shift into overdrive sometimes. Starts out fine shifting into overdrive and after a few starts and stops it stops shifting into overdrive. Have to stop the car, turn the key off and on, then it will shift into overdrive for a few times and then stops shifting into overtime. Changed the trans fluid and filter a couple of times, doesn't affect it. Car runs and shifts reat other than that. Thanks Jim

Sunday, December 26th, 2010 AT 3:40 AM

KHLOW2008

Is the Check Engine Light indicating?
Have you tried to retrieve for trouble codes?

Transmission control system has self-diagnostics and if any error occurs, there is a possibility trouble codes would be stored in system. Get a scan done to retrieve for trouble codes and let me know what they are if any found.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Sunday, December 26th, 2010 AT 10:47 AM
TUCKER12

The check engine light is on with the code for the o2 sensor bank 1. The check engine light has been on when the transmission was working correctly. I had it rechecked and showed no trans codes.

Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 2:02 AM
KHLOW2008

If no codes are found, it would most likely be a fault with 3-4 shift valve and/or underdrive clutch.

Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 1:32 PM
TUCKER12

Could it be a solenoid being it will reset only when I turn off the ignition switch and start again? And if so where might that solenoid be located.

Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 5:29 PM
KHLOW2008

If it is a solenoid problem, trouble codes should be present. Solenoids are at the valve body which requires the transmission oil pan to be removed for access.

Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 7:15 PM