LANDROVER

2001 Land Rover Freelander

swindonboy

February, 8, 2011 AT 8:15 PM

Hi i've just replaced the rear brake shoes and drums on my freelander but when I brake there not working much and nor is the handbrake

saturntech9

February, 8, 2011 AT 8:25 PM

When you replaced the brake shoes did you adjust them up like your suppose too?Or did you just replace the shoes and not adjust them?If that's the case that would explain the lack of braking in the rear.

swindonboy

February, 8, 2011 AT 9:04 PM

When I put them on I wound an adjuster so they pulled in and the shoes pulled tight inwards thinking the caliper would push them outwards was this right or should have I adjusted them so they pushed ouwards

saturntech9

February, 8, 2011 AT 9:20 PM

You have to adjust them out slowly until a light scraping sounding is heard when the drum is on and spinning it by hand. If you spin the adjuster all the way in and don't adjust it like I just told you the brake pedal will have a lot more travel because more brake fluid is used to make the shoe's travel to the drums. Give what I said a try on both rear brake's and let me know what happens.

swindonboy

February, 9, 2011 AT 5:34 PM

Done what you said and everything is working fine now thanks very much for your help it's much appreciated

saturntech9

February, 9, 2011 AT 5:44 PM

Your very welcome that's what were here for.

Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear