FUEL FILLING PROBLEMS

2001 Kia Optima

debaccos

November, 23, 2010 AT 8:36 PM

2001 Kia Optima when you go to put gas in it it spills out the filler neck, it take 20 min to put in 5 dollars of gas. I have tried to stick a wire and hose down the tank with no sucess

Wiring Issue?

Docfixit

November, 23, 2010 AT 8:41 PM

Vent valve faulty traping air intank

debaccos

November, 23, 2010 AT 8:43 PM

Where is that and can I bypass it or do I have to replace it. I am driving 13 hours today to fix it for him and not sure if we can get the part

Docfixit

November, 23, 2010 AT 8:55 PM

Tried to get a PIC but KIA provides no info. But valve will be one of two places either on top of tank or in a hose that goes from tank along filler tube

debaccos

November, 23, 2010 AT 9:09 PM

Can I bypass it whein I find it?

Docfixit

November, 23, 2010 AT 9:13 PM

Yes maybe able to clean vapor and moisture build a gunk up valve if notreplace with a hose do npot plug needs to allow air to escape as fuel goes in

debaccos

November, 23, 2010 AT 9:20 PM

I will give it a try thanks

Docfixit

November, 23, 2010 AT 10:00 PM

Good Luck on trip this may sound flaky but if vale can't be found slide a 1/4 tube down filler neck to expel air

debaccos

November, 23, 2010 AT 10:14 PM

GREAT IDEA!

dB

August, 21, 2011 AT 8:41 PM

My daughter has an 02 Optima that had the same problem. Ran several hours of troubleshooting including removing and checking the cannister, which was fine. I finally found a 1-way check valve that was installed backwards (at the factory). As soon as I disconnected the valve, the pressure instantly released. We reversed it and the car took fuel normally. The valve has the flow arrow molded on it. It should point toward the fill cap, not to the tank.

Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Charger
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front