TAIL LIGHTS

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

chrisriskowh

When my lights are on at night my tail lights work fine but as soon as I touch the brakes my passenger tail light goes out. As soon as I let off the brake pedal light comes back on. The turn signal works while brake is pressed. Ive changed the bulbs but am confused on why this keeps happening

mldaniels2000

Sounds as though the light bulb socket on the right rear is bad. Melting of the plastic is common with age. Sometimes contacts for bulbs can cross when plastic is melted. Check local parts stores and replace light socket.

chrisriskowh

Thank you for the help. Now the brake lights work when headlights are off I didn't know if that mattered

mldaniels2000

Both sides or just the one side?

chrisriskowh

Just the passenger side

MY BESTUS BUDDY'S WIFE HAS A 2000, TAIL LIGHT/ TURN SIGNAL ISSUES.

HE WOULD SORTA PLAY WITH THEM AND GET 'EM TO WORK. THEN NOT!HE HAD MESSED WITH THEM 3-4 TIMES AND SORTA GOT NOWHERE. MY BUDDY DOES NOT DO A LOT OF INVESTIGATION

HE ASKED ME TO HELP

I FOUND THAT THE BULB HOLDERS TWIST INTO THE FIXTURE ON THE REAR LIGHTS.

WE DID SOME SWAPPING AROUND OF "TWISTY HOLDERS" TO FIGGER OUT WHAT WAS GOING ON.

WE FOUND THAT THE SMALL CONTACT ON THE BULB HOLDERS HAD TO BE BENT OUT A LITTLE MORE (LITTLE COPPER/ BRASS TAB DEALEES), I USED MY KNIFE BLADE TO BARELY BEND THEM OUTWARD. THIS MAKES THEM PUSH HARDER ONTO THE CONTACT. I ALSO SANDED THESE TABS SLIGHTLY

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, THERE ARE THREE CIRCULAR ARRANGED CONTACTS ON THE FIXTURE, THESE "FLATS" HAD TO BE SLIGHTLY SANDED OR SCRAPED CLEAN WITH A KNIFE BLADE, TO CLEAN 'EM UP AND MAKE 'EM SHINY---JUST FOR "INSURANCE", WE APPLIED A THIN DAB OF DIELECTRIC GREASE ON ALL CONTACT SURFACES (AVAILABLE AT A PARTS STORE)

WE DID NOT STOP WITH JUST THE "PROBLEM CHILD"WE REMOVED EACH BULB HOLDER AND PERFORMED THE SAME OPERATIONS ON EACH ONE

EVER SINCE WE DID THIS ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO, THERE HAS NOT BEEN ANOTHER PROBLEM WITH ANY OF THE TAIL LIGHTING

I HAVE LOTS OF PICS! UNFORTUNATELY, NONE OF THE BULB HOLDERS AND SUCH. HERE'S ONE OF THE GREASE!

IF FOR SOME REASON YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS, I MAY BE ABLE TO TAKE SOME PICS OF MY BUDDY'S WIFE'S RIG. MAY TAKE A DAY OR TWO. LET ME KNOW

LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES

mldaniels2000

Let us know of any further assistance.

Side Marker Bulb Replacement Mini Cooper
DRL Light Bulb Replacement
Fog Light Bulb Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz