STALLS AND CANNOT BE RESTARTED AT RANDOM.

2001 Jeep Cherokee

raysteding

August, 4, 2012 AT 11:32 PM

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 84,000 miles on it. I've taken it to 3 shops and it still stalls completely (shuts off) for no apparent reason. Sometimes it will not re-start and has to be towed. The mechanic at the last shop was driving it when it happened to him too. Electrical tests seem ok. Can this vehicle be fixed?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

hmac300

August, 4, 2012 AT 11:43 PM

Check the fufel pressure it shoudl be 44-54 psi, the pump may be getting hot and not pumping. If it's higher than 54 psi the regulator is defective. If this is a grand cherokee they are mechanically operated. It cold also be the automaitc shutdown relay bad or something wrong in the fuel pump circuit.

August, 8, 2012 AT 12:17 AM

I'VE SEEN QUITE A FEW THAT HAD CRANKSHAFT SENSOR ISSUES THAT EXHIBITED THE SAME SYMPTOMS YOU DESCRIBE.....I'M OFFERING OPINION---NOT ADVICE!

IN FACT, A REAL GOOD BUDDY OF MINE PUT UP WITH THE "I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S WRONG" ROUTINE SO LONG......HE KNEW ALMOST EXACTLY HOW FAR OR HOW LONG HE COULD DRIVE, BEFORE IT DIED.........HE BASED HIS TRIPS ON HIS SELF ACQUIRED DATA SO HE COULD STILL DO HIS DAILY ROUTINES

THIS ONE HERE, IS FOR THE 4.7 (YOU DID NOT MENTION YOUR ENGINE SIZE)

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_crankshaft-sensor-bwd_18260313-p?searchTerm=bwd+crankshaft+position+sensor

IF THIS IS YOUR PART---IT'S EQUAL TO 8 ? GALLONS OF GAS....THE TRIP BACK AND FORTH TO YOUR MECHANIC!THIS THING AIN'T HARD TO INSTALL.....THE HIGH SCHOOL NEIGHBOR KID IN AUTO MECHANICS SHOP COULD DO IT!.....OR EVEN THIS:

I'M JUST CONVEYING WHAT I HAVE SEEN----WITHOUT SUPER HI-$$$$ TESTING (I DO BELIEVE IN DIAGNOSING--SOMETIMES IT DOES SAVE ON "INDISCRIMINATE PARTS THROWING")......TO REPLACE A $30 PART.....TAKING A CHANCE IS UP TO YOU!

GOOD LUCK!

djcl

August, 8, 2012 AT 12:52 AM

The most co min problem with this jeep is the crank sensor. Are there codes. Have it tested when it cuts out

hmac300

August, 8, 2012 AT 12:54 AM

Also check the wires leading to teh sensor as wellas teh pins for he connection

raysteding

August, 8, 2012 AT 2:13 AM

Thanks very much. I am slow with putting your good information to use because I've been busy but will get back with each message and let you know of the progress.

rivermikerat

September, 7, 2012 AT 1:36 AM

Hey ray, any status update on this? Have you had it scanned for both soft and hard codes yet?