WHITE SMOKE COMING FROM BELOW THE ENGINE OF MY

2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Andrew6477

November, 13, 2010 AT 5:05 AM

I see smoke coming from under the engine of my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. It is white smoke thats coming from under the engine under the engine oil dipstick. I see a brownish liquid on some of the metal parts below it. It also smells like burning rubber. I heard this could be a blown gasket? Is it? And if so how much would this problem cost to repair? I'm afraid to turn it on because of a possible antifreeze contamination. How do I know if its contaminated?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 13, 2010 AT 5:08 AM

Is there white smoke coming from the exhaust? Does the oil look contaminated with coolant (creamy lt brown color)?

The smoke coming from under the engine doesn't really sound like a head gasket problem. Can you tell if there is anything leaking from the engine area and running under the engine?

Andrew6477

November, 14, 2010 AT 10:40 AM

There is no smoke coming from the exhaust, the oil does look light brown. The smoke also smells like something is burning. There is an area near the underside of the engine that looks wet with a brown looking liquid. Im assuming this is oil? This area is on the passenger side of the car.

jasonhilton

June, 14, 2011 AT 9:27 PM

Any solution found for this? I actually have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo Sport and just noticed the same problem this week. Can't tell exactly where the white smoke is coming from, but definitely on the passenger side somewhere under the hood.

Jacobandnickolas

June, 15, 2011 AT 3:18 AM

It sounds like an oil leak. Have you checked the valve cover gasket?

jasonhilton

June, 18, 2011 AT 4:25 AM

I think I have located the valve cover gasket. There are 2 of them, on either side of the engine? And I'm assuming since the smoke is clearly coming from the passenger side, I'd only need to check that one? How do I "check" the valve cover gasket?

Jacobandnickolas

June, 18, 2011 AT 4:33 AM

Hi

Good to hear from you. Yes, there are two valve covers. As far as the gasket, check around where it mounts to the engine. Check for evidence of oil leaks. Keep in mind, if the gasket is leaking, just tightening it won't stop the leak. In fact, it will likely make it worse. The valve cover is held on by bolts around the outer edge. They will need removed, the old gasket removed and the engine surface and the valve cover will need all old gasket material cleaned. When you purchase the new gaskets (they will come as a set of two) ask the people at the store for the torque specifications for the cover. You don't want to overtighten it or the new gasket can split or pinch out.

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

jasonhilton

June, 18, 2011 AT 11:06 PM

I'm not too familiar with what it looked like under the hood before this problem, but all I see now is this discoloration below the valve cover (attached picture). Is that evidence of oil leak?

Jacobandnickolas

June, 20, 2011 AT 4:49 AM

Actually, it looks really dry (like it should). The part that is rusted is the exhaust manifold.

jasonhilton

June, 30, 2011 AT 4:34 AM

I set up an appt, and in the week before they could get me in, it started having trouble shifting. So it ended up being the transmission fluid leaking, and causing the white smoke. Thanks for your help with this.

Jacobandnickolas

June, 30, 2011 AT 6:41 PM

That makes sense. The leak was most likely lower. That is why everything up top looks dry. It was probably leaking on to the exhaust system. Regardless, I'm glad it's fixed. Let me know if you have questions in the future.

Replacing Head Gasket
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla