I REPLACED THE TIMING BELT AND FORGOT TO ALIGN THE TIMING MARKS

2001 Isuzu Rodeo

ibolt2repair

July, 4, 2012 AT 9:41 AM

On a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder engine. I lost compression. Is the engine OK? I recently did a major tune up on a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo 2.2 liter engine. It was in bad shape and The check engine was on so I decided to take on the task of repairing what was wrong along with a proper tune up.

The codes are PO402 E.G.R /Flow Excessive Detected and PO342/ Cam Shaft Sensor/ Low input. I replaced the Cam Shaft Sensor then I cleaned the E.G.R valve and examined it. It was caked with carbon build up so I used C R C throttle body & air intake cleaner to remove the carbon build up from the E.G.R valve and sprayed down into the base the E.G.R bolts to. It gets worse, the upper intake manifold was completely blocked so I removed it to properly clear all the lines.

Also cleaned the throttle body. It went from worse to self destruct! I failed to align the timing marks on the crank shaft, cam shafts/ exhaust & intake before I removed the timing belt and even with your diagram and a compression tester could not find TDC on the crank shaft. On the interference engines If there was no compression at any time when I turned the crank shaft without the belt and cam shafts not in proper timing position. Have I caused damage to the cylinders or pistons?

mhpautos

July, 4, 2012 AT 12:27 PM

You will have bent a number of valves in the head, you will have to get the head checked by an automotive machinist.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX