I HAD A LEAK FROM THE TRANSMISSION AND WHILE THE...

2001 Hyundai Tiburon

jimgant

November, 5, 2012 AT 12:37 AM

I had a leak from the transmission and while the repair shop was fixing that, the discovered that a plastic retainer inside a bearing race (differential bearing) was broken. They ordered that new bearing and when the removed the "differential bearing retaining cap" (their description, not mine, although it seems right) it came apart in two pieces( it's supposed to be one solid piece ) upon searching for a part number they discovered that none of the maintenance diagrams show this broken piece and that it doesn't have a part number. Contacting local hyundai dealers (perhaps because of a lack of patience or language barriers) they haven't been able to locate a replacement part ( number unknown) and have said that for the need of this piece, I'll have to buy a whole transmission to replace mine! OUCH, for what is probably a $20-50 at most, part, I have to spend $1800 for another transmission? Please help me locate this part or the part number so I don't have to buy a new transmission. I have images of the part, it's a pretty clean break and when put together it looks like a recognizable piece.

November, 5, 2012 AT 12:47 AM

There is no part number for the bearing cap. It is only service with the case. Thats why you need a trans.

I suggest a juk yard for a case or a trans shop for a case. It may be cheaper than buying a new unit

November, 5, 2012 AT 1:22 AM

I STARTED LOOKIN'

HARD TO DO WITHOUT THE "EXACT #s FOR THE TYPE TRANNY YOU HAVE

HECK......I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF ITS A "MANUAL" OR AN "AUTOMATIC"

THIS IS AS FAR AS I GOT

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/Mitsubishi.html

jimgant

November, 5, 2012 AT 1:39 AM

I realized after posting the question that I had forgotten to say that it's an AUTOMATIC. WHAT NUMBER DO YOU NEED? I can get it from my mechanic first thing Monday morning.

November, 5, 2012 AT 1:41 AM

The case number will help us but there is no number for the bearing cap.

November, 5, 2012 AT 1:43 AM

Also, get us the production date of the car

jimgant

November, 5, 2012 AT 1:44 AM

Would the VIN HELP? Or other parts numbers from the bearing for example?

jimgant

November, 5, 2012 AT 1:46 AM

Is the production date located on the title or a sticker on the car somewhere?

jimgant

November, 5, 2012 AT 1:50 AM

Looks like the case number on the diagram, exploded view the gave me as a ref. Is 45240.

jimgant

November, 5, 2012 AT 1:52 AM

Also, they said that the "last 8" numbers on the VIN were important, they are. 1U223096. Does that help?

November, 5, 2012 AT 1:53 AM

No vin, date is on drivers door post. Number of case is on the trans

Differential Fluid Drain/Refill
Axle Seal Replacement
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Differential Fluid Change Ford F250
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD