PROBLEM WITH INTERMITTENT IGNITION FAILURE AND TACK POINTER DROPS AT SAME TIME

2001 Hyundai Elantra

flustrated01

January, 6, 2012 AT 4:39 AM

Car normally runs great and then it is like the key is turned of and on. The tach drops for a split second and engine dies for a split second and come back on. No other electrical affects to the radio, lights, fans etc. It is a very violent affect if you are on the throttle, but happens coasting or at idle and then runs fine for a while and does it again. Worse when outside temp. Is very low. Am sure the all 4 cylinders die when this happens.

saturntech9

January, 6, 2012 AT 4:54 AM

Do you have any codes?

flustrated01

I had two codes PO422 for front bank oxygen sensor and PO507 for Idle air control module. Bought both items and installed them and removed codes. Codes stayed off. Ran good for two days and then the same problem came back with the engine cutting off for a split second, the tach dips for same time and now the check engine blinks at the same time. Only does it for a few seconds at a time not all the time.

saturntech9

Doesnt the P0507 just say that the idle is out of range?WHat codes came back?

flustrated01

January, 12, 2012 AT 12:05 AM

The check engine light is not on so I have not had them checked today. The check engine light only blinks at the same time as when it misses and the tach drops. Will there be any codes when the check engine light is off. If so I will have it checked tomorrow.

saturntech9

January, 12, 2012 AT 12:07 AM

There will still be codes even if its off. Let me know the codes numbers.

flustrated01

RAined last night and it is cold. Car starting cutting off and on instantly and did it often. Check engine light blinking off and on and tach dropping at the same time. I had the codes checked afterwards and there are no codes.

saturntech9

If the check engine light is flashing while its running then there is going to be codes.

Ignition System Test Guide
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz