I LIVE IN WISCONSIN WHERE THIS PROVES TO BE A PROBLEM

2001 Hyundai Elantra

riebed

September, 10, 2012 AT 1:28 AM

Hi

Are winter wiper blades better than regular wiper blade replacements for minimizing snow/ice build-up?

caradiodoc

September, 10, 2012 AT 1:38 AM

The rubber blade is the same material and design. They add a thin rubber sheet around the metal frame to keep it dry so the water on it doesn't freeze. Don't waste your money on 'em. I'm in Wisconsin too. Winter wiper blades won't prevent me from having to chip ice off my windshield.

riebed

September, 10, 2012 AT 11:34 PM

Thanks-but does it minimize build-up on the wiper arms?

caradiodoc

September, 11, 2012 AT 1:16 AM

I suppose but I wouldn't pay extra for it. If there's ice or slush buildup for the rubber membrane to deflect from the wiper frame, there's still going to be ice on the windshield you'll have to chop through or brush off. I just pull the wiper arms up six inches and let them snap back to shatter the ice off. Still have the original everything on my daily driver '88 Grand Caravan. Thought about replacing the blades many times but what for? They still work perfectly.

Ice buildup on the frames where the membrane might help isn't a big problem anyway. It's the ice that collects on the rubber blade that holds it up away from the glass. Winter blades won't solve that.

riebed

September, 11, 2012 AT 1:39 AM

Gocha-thanks for the info

Wiper Blade Replacement Scion XD
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Ford F-250
Windshield Wiper Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Wiper Blade Replacement Acura MDX
Windshield Wiper Replacement Ford Escape
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Acura TL
Windshield Wiper Replacement Ford Explorer