2001 Honda Civic

• 2001 HONDA CIVIC

2001 Honda Civic 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 68000 miles

2001 civic it will drive about a mile then will stall out like it isnt getting enough gas I have just replaced the catalitic converter and exaust system so what else could it be I am trying to find out for my son thats in the Army before he goes to Iraq. He Originally carried it to Pep boys in georgia whom screwed him and told him it was fixed after 600.00 they said it was ignition core spark plugs etc. Well the darn thing still didnt run, it did the same thing as before then the told him his catalitic converter wasnt on the car and the exaust system needed repair that was 200.00 more to fix that and quess what it still done the same thing after about a mile it just stalls out like its not getting gas. Could it be the timing or fuel pump if so how would I know without spending 800.00 more?
By the way thanks for letting me vent, what can I say I'm a mother when it comes to my child.

Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 7:42 PM

Hi Robyn,

Thank you for the donation.

All parents would fight tooth and nails for their kids and it is no surprise that you are angry.

To resolve the problem we would need to understand what could possibly malfunction and cause the engine to stall.

You would be required to monitor some items and perform some diagnostics so as to ascertain what is missing.

Here are some statements and questions that I need you to fill me in.

1. You mentioned ignition core, I believe that is the ignition coil. Spark plugs have been changed so it means the ignition system has been checked.

2. When the engine stalled :

a) Were you able to restart and if yes, was it easy?
B) What is the idling speed when engine has warmed up?
C) Does the stalling occurs only when stopped, decelerating or it hapens even when cruising?
D) Were the dash indicator lights showing?
E) Does the Check Engine Light shows prior to it occuring?

3. Does problem occur intermittently or very frequently?

4. Would you ne able to perform basic test to check for sparks?

I do not wish to get you confused but without understanding the problem, it would be impossible to diagnose it.

We shall start here and if you have any other information that you think might be helpful, let me know.

Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 7:59 AM