2001 Honda Accord V6 Valve Adj; intake loose, exhaust tight, over time;Fact or Myth?

JUSTADRIVER
  • 2001 HONDA ACCORD
I am seeing on the net that the intake valve gets loosener over time and exhaust gets tighter over time. But after checking, intake and exhaust are loose.

Intake did loosen a lot (I can insert 0.011 inch in it). But exhaust I can't tell. I adjusted half of my engine yesturday but on the exhaust side, no matter what I do, I can always insert 0.015 inch. It is really tight for 0.015, I can barely move it around. But going back to the point.

To me, I think both intake and exhaust gets loose over time.

And if I am correct, then I should set the gap to the lowest factory setting as possible to both intake and exhaust.

Note:
What I did was, I set the intake side to the lowest gap by the factory (0.008 inch). And also for the intake, I can NOT insert 0.009. You might say tight but it moves around nicely.

But for exhaust side, my options are 0.011 to 0.013. And since I heard exhaust gets tight I would set this to 0.012. A little tight for 0.012 so that it feels smooth for 0.011. But as I said, I can squeeze in 0.015. Strange.

So again, my exhaust was not tight. They were loose just as the intake. And if all becomes loose over time, then I need to re-adjust my exhaust.

Thanks.
Wednesday, May 11th, 2011 AT 7:13 PM

DOCFIXIT
Are you adjusting each cylinder at TDC with timing mark aligned with rear cover mark?
Wednesday, May 11th, 2011 AT 7:57 PM
JUSTADRIVER
Ofc! I am following the guide in Haynes manual.
Wednesday, May 11th, 2011 AT 8:00 PM
DOCFIXIT
Well does Haynes tell you to adjust as I asked?
Wednesday, May 11th, 2011 AT 8:04 PM
JUSTADRIVER
It says align the timing marks on the cam on cylinder to be worked on.

Well it goes by the firing order. I think the order was 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6. The book is in the garage by my car atm. And I am working on something else too.

A mech online said I don't have to follow the firing order. As long as the timing mark is on the cylinder I am working on then I am fine.
Wednesday, May 11th, 2011 AT 8:17 PM
DOCFIXIT
That is correct order and your adjusting both intake and exhaust at same time? Is it possible when tighting hold nut adjustment moves? Have you tried keeping feeler in position while tighting? Exhaust set bigger gap because temp makes it grow as valves wear the gap gets tighter but takes several thousand miles.
Wednesday, May 11th, 2011 AT 8:31 PM
JUSTADRIVER
I am adjusting both intake and exhaust at the same time as I seen on internet and as I see it on Haynes manual.

I am holding the screw in place as I am tightening the nut. But from the experience, the screw doesn't move. So far I only had one screw that did that but I used NEW engine oil to clean it. Then it didn't have that problem.

As for putting the feeler gauge in as I am tightening the nut, how I am doing it is, I am inserting next higher feeler gauge as a place holder for the screw. The next higher gauge will not go in all the way but it inserts just enough of the tip to put pressure on the screws. Then I tighten (and/or torquing) the nut. It works very well, but for the exhaust side, I use the highest I can get. That's how I found out about the strangeness of the exhaust side. If I keep squeezing it in, it keeps going in. As if I am able to squeeze the valve springs with my feeler gauges. Another logical reasoning I can think of is, the exhaust side is angled. The contact tips of the valves, are not exactly parallel like it is in the intake side. So that may have some effect.

And finally, I don't understand you by "exhaust set bigger gap because temp makes it grow as valves wear the gap gets tighter but takes several thousand miles."

I think you mean, set the exhaust side slightly bigger than the smallest gap size by the factory because over time exhaust side DO get TIGHTER.

So it is a FACT that exhaust side of the valves do get tighter. But how come my car didn't? Intake did got loose, but my exhaust is 0.011 to 0.012, which is the factory setting.

Very, very strange. But so I guess setting my exhaust to 0.012 is perfectly fine. I hope it won't be noisy.
Wednesday, May 11th, 2011 AT 8:57 PM
PMARS
I just finished the first ever valve adjustment on my 2000 3.0 V6 Accord with 124,000 miles. My intakes were at.014 and my exhausts were at.015

I have re-set them to.008 and.013

No idea why the difference from all the experts, but all valves were so similar it was scary!

Engine sounds a tiny bit quieter now and maybe smoother. Still no resolution to my random startup fail, but as I expected, the valves had nothing to do with it.
Saturday, January 7th, 2012 AT 6:24 AM