WHAT WOULD CAUSE THE VALVE CLEARANCE GAP TO BE TIGHT, EVEN WITH THE SCREW BACKED ALL THE WAY OUT?

1993 Honda Accord

thanvas

June, 11, 2012 AT 2:16 PM

I changed out the head gasket and also replaced my car with a rebuilt cylinder head. Also had to remove the camshaft sprocket. I set the timing and then started to check the valve clearance. I rotated the crankshaft so that the car is at TDC and that the alignment marks are aligned with the fly wheel. Then I checked the valve clearance for piston 1 and I adjusted it accordingly to the specs. That's in the book. Then I rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees so that the number 3 piston is at TDC. This is where the valve clearance is tight. I'm afraid that the valve might be down and the piston is up at this point that why it's hard for me to adjust. Is there a way I could check this or what may the problem be? I think my engine is an interference engine.

June, 11, 2012 AT 4:23 PM

Which way did you rotate? The engine runs counter clockwise.

Note if the valves are overlapping, ie both valves are loose for cylinder # 3 if it is on compression stroke and for cylinder # 2 are tight.

thanvas

June, 11, 2012 AT 5:26 PM

I rotate it clockwise. Is it on compression stroke when the piston is at tdc and the rotor is pointing to the #3? But the valve clearance is tight.

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:12 PM

Rotating clockwise means you need to adjust cylinder # 2.

Yes, the rotor pointing to whichever cylinder means it is on compression and at firing stroke.

thanvas

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:31 PM

But isn't the #2 cylinder at the down stroke. At what stroke is the valve clearance adjusted? Is it not at the tdc and firing of the piston?

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:43 PM

You mentioned turning the engine clockwise 180 degrees, that means cylinder # 2 is at TDC on compression stroke and not cylinder # 3.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars