01 - ENGINE WILL NOT TURN OFF

2001 GMC Yukon

sguild

October, 9, 2012 AT 9:20 PM

I have a 2001 Yukon. Yesterday I turned off my truck, got out, and I realized the engine was still running?

I spent 20 minutes trying to diagnose the issue but came up empty.

We were able to kill the vehicle by disconnecting a fuse, but when I re-start it the issue is still there.

I do have an aftermarket remote-start, but after a few hours of diagnosis and a conversation with the guy who installed it, both the dealership and my guy who installed the remote start are confident that is not the issue.

The guys at the service department at my local dealership are stumped. And they want to charge me $300-$400 more to call the GM engineers to try to continue the diagnosis.

Given that my truck isn't worth much more than $5k or $6k, I am reluctant to continue on a wild goose chase at $100/hour

Have you ever seen this? I would greatly appreciate insight on how to fix this issue in a cost affective manner. Thank you!

saturntech9

October, 9, 2012 AT 9:35 PM

Have not seen it but for some reason everything is getting power for it to run. When turning the key off is the dash lights still on?Also what brand and model remote start do you have?

sguild

October, 9, 2012 AT 9:45 PM

The dash lights are not still on when I remove the key.

As for the remote start, it is a Clifford two-way remote start. I don't remember the exact model, but it was bought in 2004.

saturntech9

October, 9, 2012 AT 10:52 PM

The remote start is designed to have to the engine run without the key on the first thing I would suspect is that remote start. When I worked at the saturn dealers I used to run into aftermarket installed accessories wondering if they were causing the problem. Even had the installer check to see if it was have been told no it wasnt. Wasted a lot of time looking at everything else then come to find out it it was the aftermarket installed accessorie. If I knew the model number for the remote start I could see where and how they hook it up.

evolve960

October, 10, 2012 AT 12:48 AM

Have you tried stepping on the brake pedal after you remove the key to see if the remote unit will shut down?

evolve960

October, 10, 2012 AT 12:52 AM

Or using the remote to shut down the vehicle? There are a few fail safe ways to activate deactivate the remote unit. It also should have a off switch associated with the remote start system. You need to isolate that remote start from the rest of the vehicle then continue from there. My best guess would be an issue with the wires that tie into the ingition switch which are causing a constant on state ( but it is wierd that when you replace the fuse you remove that the vehicle doesnt try and retart)

sguild

October, 10, 2012 AT 7:36 PM

Thanks for the reply Evolve and Saturn.

The latest update: I went to the dealership to pick up my truck this morning to bring it to the guy who installed my remote start. For whatever reason, the truck works fine now. Not sure if it was the computer resetting, or if something triggered when the battery was disconnected, but this looks like it is working for now.

Thanks again.
Steve

saturntech9

October, 10, 2012 AT 11:17 PM

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Camaro
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes