I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO REPLACE A BROKEN VALVE ...

2001 Ford Windstar

brianpickett

December, 17, 2012 AT 5:18 PM

I need to know how to replace a broken valve spring on the number 2 cylinder. A blowup diagram of the 3.8 engine would be best and much appreciated. Thanks

hmac300

December, 17, 2012 AT 5:37 PM

You'll need to remove valve cover and rocker arm from offending valve. You will also need to remove spark plug and put in an air plug asyou will need air in cylindr to hold valve in position. Then tap retainer with a hammer or socket and take keepers out and remove spring/springs. Hav enw spring with compressor ready to install, compressnew spring far enought to put retainer and keeper in then unload spring. When finished tap top of vavle with hammer to open and close valve to make sure it stays together then reassemble. If you do not have type of spring compressor they are available at auto parts stores for rent/purchase. You need at least 100 psi to keep spring in head. If it falls through you will need to pull cylinder head off.

hmac300

December, 17, 2012 AT 5:38 PM

Note when tightening bolts it is refering to rocker arm bolts.

Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20