LOCKED UP ENGINE

2001 Ford Windstar

Jeff Arnold

2001 Ford Windstar v6, engine locked. I can turn the engine backwards freely, but going forward, the engine stops at the same time, everytime. Running fine when it was shut off, oil pressure good etc.

Jeff Arnold

Correction, the engine stops at the same "place" everytime.

Wrenchtech

I would remove all the spark plugs looking for one that is damaged then try to turn the engine with the plugs out.

Jeff Arnold

If it were a damaged spark plug, wouldn't that also do the same thing while turning the engine backwards? Just thinking outloud.

Wrenchtech

I'm just looking for evidence of damage in the upper cylinder.

Jeff Arnold

Gotcha, I will pull them.

Jeff Arnold

What are the odds of a vapor lock? I pulled the plugs, all looked good, I could turn the engine. No damage to the plugs, no shavings etcc. Reinstalled the plugs and it started. Runs good. Stopped and started it several time, no issues. Vapor lock is the only thing I can think of.

Wrenchtech

No such thing as vapor lock on that system. Now, hydro-lock is a different story if you got a cylinder full of coolant somehow but that's why I told you to remove all the plugs and eliminate that possibility. You should see evidence of something that shot out of the cylinder when you cranked it with no plugs in it.

Blazz81

January, 13, 2012 AT 12:59 AM

I have the same problem, it has happened 3 times in the last year, but today when I got it unstuck and started it has a low end clunk clunk clunk noise!

Any one know whats going on here?

Oil and Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mazda 3
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Accord