SUSPENSION CLUNK, HALFSHAFT?

2001 Ford Taurus

Taurus clunk

June, 26, 2012 AT 9:59 PM

There is a cluck/clack coming from the drivers front wheel. A coil spring broke on that wheel and had a quick strut put in. Speed doesn't seem to effect it. I can't replicate it by wiggling or prying on links when the wheels off. Sway bar links seem ok, control arm bushings don't move? The half shaft does have some play both rotating about 12 to 12: 30 in park. Also it seems to slide in and out at the transmission (past the inner joint) where it slides into the transmission (c clip holds it in). There is about 3/8 inch play there. Also the in/out is not where the cv axle gets longer under suspension travel, but past the joint and where it splines into the transmission. Both of those seem to replicate the sound somewhat. I'm thinking the rotational is normal slop in the park lock. The in in out is whats bugging me. Also the motor trans mount you can see from inside the wheel well flexes when pried up, doesn't seem seperated so that's normal right. If you have some input it would be helpful.

June, 26, 2012 AT 11:34 PM

Look closer at the lower a frame bushings. They are common for wearing out

Taurus clunk

June, 26, 2012 AT 11:40 PM

I checked by prying them and trying to move them side to side, no real movement.

June, 26, 2012 AT 11:43 PM

Check the sub frame mounts a swell. They are common for rusting out particularly the rear ones.

Replace Tie Rod End
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy