SPEEDOMETER NOT WORKING, TRANSMISSION SHIFTING ERRATIC

2001 Ford Taurus

KF

May, 8, 2012 AT 3:07 PM

Replaced engine and transmission. After install, the speedometer is not working and the transmission rarely shifts from 1st to 2nd. I have already swapped the turbine speed sensor and output shaft speed sensor from the known good transmission.
Fuses all check.

Any thoughts? Open circuit between sensor and PCM?

hmac300

May, 8, 2012 AT 7:07 PM

Scan for codes first and where did the trans come from? You may have a bad solenoid or valve hung up.

KF

May, 8, 2012 AT 7:23 PM

Pulled engine and transmission together from a recent wreck. Set a turbine speed sensor code, but cleared after I replaced it with a known good one. Would a solenoid or valve result in no movement from the speedometer?

hmac300

May, 8, 2012 AT 7:37 PM

No but you could have a bad sensor even if you thought it was good. Does it shift to any gear or just stays in limp mode. Have you tried the easy stuff like fuses underhood and in car? Is the ground good on engine and does gry/blk wire getting a signal from the pcm?

KF

May, 8, 2012 AT 7:49 PM

I swapped the sensor from my original transmission to the installed, which was working fine before the head gasket blew. Fuses all look good.
Will double check the ground on the engine. I haven't checked the signals yet but plan to do so this evening
.

May, 8, 2012 AT 11:03 PM

Did you replace the vehicle speed sensor? It is on the passenger side of the trans.

You need a scan tool to see if there is a signal to the pcm.

djcl

May, 8, 2012 AT 11:40 PM

Get a scaner and check transmission data. This would be a big help. And end a lot of questions. Some where along the line your loosing your spedo input.

KF

May, 9, 2012 AT 1:57 AM

Checked continuity between pcm and vss. Loose connector at pcm. Problem solved.
Thanks for the inputs.I appreciate it

djcl

May, 9, 2012 AT 7:18 AM

No problem

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Dynamat Door Installation
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Window Switch Replacement and Test
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro