DAMAGED ENGINE

2001 Ferrari Modena

Marlosbm

November, 7, 2011 AT 12:56 AM

Hello, can a driver cause a damage to a engine if he doesn't rev the engine up to the red line?

Thank you.

billymac

November, 7, 2011 AT 1:05 AM

Not likely. But he can certainly be blamed. Lol

Marlosbm

November, 7, 2011 AT 1:11 AM

How can he be blamed? What can someone do to damage the engine if it has a rev limiter?

billymac

November, 7, 2011 AT 1:21 AM

Iam not saying he is at fault or not I don't know the whole story.
However if he drives the car with no oil in it no antifreeze in it overheats it and keeps driving. Does modifications to enhance performance. All of these things are classified as driver error.
The rev limiter only protects the eng from being over reved. None of these other senarios. Thank you billymac

Marlosbm

November, 7, 2011 AT 1:29 AM

I rented a Ferrari Modena in the end of October from Xotic Dream Cars in Florida. Only drove it for 60 miles ( almost only in town at low speeds and they are saying that I caused serius engine damage ). What can I do? Is there anything in my defense that you can help me? I am sure I didn't force the engine. Thank you very much.

billymac

November, 7, 2011 AT 1:44 AM

Yes if you rented it. Then it is no diff from any rental car they are responsible for the maintenance and repairs. What are they saying you done? Whatever you do do not pay them a court will not make you the only way they can get you to pay is if you volonteer to pay for it. Tell them to send you documented proof from a certified dealer ferrari. Detailed technician report of damages you allegedly caused. If they do I will be surprised.

Marlosbm

November, 7, 2011 AT 1:45 AM

I don't know if it is 2001. They didn't say what the computer had ( just said that I overreved it ). I didn't do that. I read on the internet that the engine and the gearbox have rev limiter. If this is true, what can someone who rents this car do do damage the car?

billymac

November, 7, 2011 AT 1:51 AM

Nothing at all the car is protected from over rev, so if it did over rev ever then it is a mechanical rev limiter that has failed not the driver.

Marlosbm

November, 7, 2011 AT 1:54 AM

Then I shouldn't be worried. Thank you very much. I can't donate because I had to cancel my credit card. Thanks again.

billymac

November, 7, 2011 AT 1:55 AM

Your welcome anytime

Marlosbm

December, 22, 2011 AT 11:45 PM

Today the credit card company sent me an invoice from the shop that serviced the car: engine damage due to engine over revving - crankshaft damage / 6 out of 8 connecting rods damaged, advised customer to purchase replacement engine, cost to rebuild current engine would be $23000.00, removed and inspected engine. Cost = $2660.00
Install customer supplied used engine = $1710.00

They got a used engine for $16000.00 from exotic auto recycling.

How can they say what caused the damage? And what about the rev limiter?

Please help, again.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus
Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Camaro
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Escape