THIS IS A 5

2001 Dodge Ram

juantwo3

November, 1, 2012 AT 2:20 AM

This is a 5.9L 2500. The lift pump will not stop running. Battery went dead before I realized there was a problem. The truck sat for a week and one of the batteries was shorted out from the discharge. I replaced the battery but the truck now will not start. The lift pump will run when the ignition is turned on but will not turn off even after the switch is turned off. I do have fuel pressure, with the pump running. Noticed that when the ignition is turned off that the dash light "wait to start" if faintly on. Any ideas? Tks Mac

November, 1, 2012 AT 2:22 AM

Feed back from the pump.

Disconnect the pump and see if it has voltage to make it continue to work. It may be a bad pump.

juantwo3

November, 1, 2012 AT 2:55 AM

After the pump is started in the "prestart" ignition position the only way it will stop is diconnecting the battery or pulling the relay. This pump is located, I believe, in the fuel tank. I am not sure what you are suggesting that I do. Disconnect the fuel pump from what - power, fuel lines?

The pump is pumping fuel with volume and pressure but I have not measured this with a guage.

Note this truck has 214,000 rather than 214. The lift pump has been replaced at 185,000.

November, 1, 2012 AT 3:00 AM

The lift pump is on the drivers side of the motor at the back of the block.

While the key is off, pull the connector apart and see if there is power coming to the motor.

juantwo3

November, 1, 2012 AT 3:21 AM

Thanks Roy I will check this location out tomorrow.

Initialy, with the key off, the pump is not running. It is not until I put the ignition in the prestart position that the pump starts, from this point it will not turn off until I remove the battery connection or pull the relay. When the battery and/or relay are reattached the lift pump will not be running as if it has been reset in an off position.

juantwo3

November, 2, 2012 AT 9:28 PM

The problem with the lift pump was a disconnected wire. The dedicated Neg. Lead from the battery to the alternator had come out of the connector. When it was reconnected everything worked fine.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right