2001 Dodge Dakota Headlight Switch

JRFIREFIGHTER533
  • 2001 DODGE DAKOTA
The headlights have an automatic shut off once the switch is turned to the off position. When the switch is turned to the off position with the key in the ignition and turned to the on position the lights will flicker quickly, then stay steady when the key is turned off. When the headlight switch is turned to the off position the lights should turn off on a timer and they don't, the timer only works if the headlight switch is turned to middle (driving light) position. We were told that the problem was in the switch itself but we just replaced the switch and the problem was not fixed. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. If you need anymore info please ask
Saturday, July 13th, 2013 AT 9:10 PM

THIS LOOK LIKE YOUR SYSTEM?

THIS IS A '01 DODGE DAKOTA "HEADLIGHT CIRCUIT" OUT OF "MITCHELL I"

IT SHOULD SHOW EVERYTHING DEALING WITH THE HEADLAMPS

Saturday, July 13th, 2013 AT 9:16 PM
JRFIREFIGHTER533
Yes, this is exactly what it looks like
Sunday, July 14th, 2013 AT 7:12 PM
DO YOU SEE ANYTHING ALONG THE LINES, IN THE DIAGRAM, THAT COULD BE SUSPECT?

I KNOW LITTLE ABOUT YOUR TRUCK.....I'M SORTA A JEEP CJ GURU

I HAVE READ, A GOOD WHILE BACK, SOMEWHERE IN HERE (2CARPROS), ANOTHER ISSUE WITH A DAKOTA WITH A "CENTRAL TIMER MODULE" ISSUE (I DON'T REMEMBER THE PROBLEM)........IT'S SHOWN IN THE TOP LEFT CORNER OF THE DIAGRAM

.................BUT THE FIX WAS TO TAKE BOTH BATTERY CABLES OFF OF THE BATTERY AND TOUCH THEM TOGETHER FOR A FEW MINUTES........SOUNDS COMPLICATED, HUH?

............I DON'T SEE HOW YOU COULD HURT NUTHIN' EITHER

I ALSO DID A GOOGLE SEARCH (AND USED IMAGES ONLY....SORTA MY FAVORITE WAY TO SEARCH!) TO LOOK AROUND A BIT FOR WHAT THE "CTM" LOOKED LIKE IN A REAL PHOTO, EXACTLY WHERE IT IS LOCATED, AND HOW MUCH ONE MIGHT COST.........MORE THAN I FIGGERED!

...................EVER THOUGHT "JEEP CJ"?

EVERYONE HAS, THAT HAS EVER SEEN ONE!

SEEMS THAT A LOT OF MY "FUN LINKING" HAS BEEN EDITED OUT.......I FOUND A SURVIVOR!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2003-ford-500-light-on-dash-half-car-screw-throuhg-help

YOUR TURN

Sunday, July 14th, 2013 AT 8:02 PM
JRFIREFIGHTER533
I have been thinking about a jeep but the Dakota is my dads truck lol. Not sure if you remember but you helped me with a question about my 95 Silverado awhile back. Hadn't heard anything about a CTM but now that I have I will definitely check it out! I'll try touching the cables tomorrow when I have more light. Thanks again for your help!
Sunday, July 14th, 2013 AT 9:44 PM
WAITIN' ON GOOD NEWS

WAS I ANY HELP WITH THE CHEVY TRUCK YOU SENT BEFORE?

Monday, July 15th, 2013 AT 4:06 PM
JRFIREFIGHTER533
Unfortunately no luck on resettin the CTM :/ I did some research and that seems like exactly what it is, and its definitely pricey. Lol. Yes sir you were a help with my Chevy and and before this post I had never even heard of a CTM so you've been a big help. Thank you
+1
Tuesday, July 16th, 2013 AT 10:07 PM
THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY "MODULES" IN 'EM NOW-A-DAYS"

THE 1ST TIME I HEARD THE WORD, "MODULE" WAS ON THE STAR TREK SERIES IN THE LATE '60s AND EARLY '70s, BEFORE I WAS EVEN 10 YEARS OLD!

THE NEXT TIME I HEARD THE WORD WAS IN-AND-ABOUTS THE SAME TIME, MY DAD'S FORD(s) HAD AN "IGNITION MODULE". WOW! SOUNDED REAL "HIGH TECH"!

I DEALT WITH THAT ONE THRU THE '80s AND '90s AS MY JEEP CJs USE THE EXACT SAME "MODULE" AS MY DAD's FORDs DO

THEN SOME WHERE IN THERE IN THE '90s SOMEONE GOT REAL "MODULE HAPPY". EVERYTHING HAD TO BE LABELED A MODULE. FROM A "MODULAR HOME" (THIS IS BASICALLY A "TRAILER", THAT THEY TOOK THE WHEELS OFF OFF).I'VE SEE THAT HAPPEN LOTS OF TIMES WHEN SOMEONE WAS BUILDING A "TOW BEHIND THEIR TRUCK TRAILER" AND NEEDED AXLES, WE JST DIDN'T HAVE A NAME FOR THAT YET. ALL THE WAY DOWN TO A HEADLIGHT BULB BEING CALLED A MODULE

I REMEMBER. AND STILL LIVE THEM DAYS OF."WHAT THE HECK IS 'HEADLIGHT RESTORER'?". MY HEADLIGHTS ARE "SEALED GLASS". THE ONLY TIME THEY GET 'HAZY' IS WHEN I DRIVE THRU THE MUD AND NEED TO CLEAN 'EM (WINDEX AND A RAG!). IT'S HARD TO SCRATCH ONE. SHOULD I EVER BUST ONE OUT. THE WHOLE SEALED BEAM (HALOGEN) IS ABOUT $20

HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG WITH A CJ THAT POSSESS' ONLY ONE MODULE (IGN MODULE). NON-PLASTIC HEADLIGHTS, AND DRAWS THE FEMALES IN. LIKE GARBAGE DRAWS FLIES?

THAT'S JUST A FEW OF THE REASONS.I CAN KEEP GOING!

ARE YOU SEEING THE LIGHT LET. AS YOU CAN SEE, THEY LAST FOREVER!

Wednesday, July 17th, 2013 AT 9:23 AM