IT OVER HEATED AND THE CAUSE WAS THE RADIATOR TO CRACK

• shackelchevy91
  • 2001 Chrysler 300

So I replaced the radiator, upper and lower hoses, thermostat, transmission oil cooler and the lower and upper intake manifold gaskets. I put it all back. Ive checked sensor connections and vacuum connections. When you take the upper electrical connection on the throttle off and start it it doesn't redline but tries to but it stays running but sounds like it revs then floods and tries to die but then revs again and keeps doing that

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 5:52 PM

• rivermikerat

Scan it for codes. It sounds like you're disconnecting the idle control valve.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 6:32 PM
  • saturntech9

So what is your question?You asked your question in the subject box and it was cut off and I cant read all of it.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 6:33 PM
  • shackelchevy91

My question is what could be cousing the engine when started to none stop rev like its doing. Im a at home mechanic and I dont have a scanner to get codes and all of that

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 6:40 PM
  • rivermikerat

Your message stated: when you take the upper electrical connection on the throttle off and start it it doesnt redline but tries to

If this is what I'm thinking it is, it's either the throttle position sensor or the idle control valve. Disconnecting either one could cause the problem you're experiencing.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 7:02 PM
  • rivermikerat
  • saturntech9

Thats a great looking inexpensive scanner that anyone with a 1996 or newer car should have if there going to fix there own car or want to know what the codes are when the check engine light comes on. If its reving up all the time I would also look for a vacuum leak?Have you done that yet?Also what exaclty did you replace that was cut off because you put all that in the subject box.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 7:15 PM
  • shackelchevy91

I diconnected itto see if it will run and it does but it revs and then start to stall and then revs again and it keeps doin that. When you plug it back in and start it it redlines again and wont stop. What does that mean and also I dont know what its from or whats causing it ill start it and then do acouple of things and try to start it again and the battery is dead and I have to charge it back up again

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 7:17 PM
  • saturntech9

Sounds like you have a couple issues like its not charging do you have a multimeter?If so start it up and see what the voltage is at the battery cables?Also you replaced the intake manifold gaskets have you checked for a vaccum leak?What else do you replace?

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 7:28 PM
  • shackelchevy91

Ok heres what all happened my friend was driving the car she ran out of oil and the car shut down so they filled it with oil and she drove to school when she got to school the car overheated. We got it home and I looked at it and found out the radiator cracked, so I replace the radiator the transmission oil cooler upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat, oil change and filled the cooling system back up I went to go start it to bleed the cooling system for air and she instantly redlined. I went back through checked my connections and found a vacume line disconnected so I plugged it in and tried to start it and it still instantly redlined. When you start it up you have to instantly shut it off cause it redlines and I dont want to blow the motor, I cant get it to idle down what so ever so theres no way to plug the obdII in to get a reading and I dont even have a code reader. I took the air box and everything back off so I can get to the throttle which is on the back of the motor to try and see what the problem is

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 7:39 PM
  • shackelchevy91

Oh like I said I replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets to. And when I took the intake manifold off and stood it up on end oil came out of it but I dont think thats whats wrong here I just need to get it to stop redlining, its like my foots to the floor when I start it and stays there

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 7:43 PM