Blend door actuator replacement (mode)

KDALLEN
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I noticed that the air is not blowing from the vents where the mode selector is turned. It is only blowing out of the defrost vents, the end-dash vents and the rear console vents. I know that the mode actuator is not working. I know that it is on the drivers side above the gas pedal. I have already checked it by watching from below while the selector is turned on the panel. It makes a "clicking" noise when you turn the selector to the upper vent position. It does not make the noise when it is turned to the defrost or the defrost/floor vent position.

I would like to know what is the proper and best way to remove the actuator and replace it. I am a big guy and I can barely wiggle into the floorboard space, much less move my arms up to try and get a socket on the retaining screws. I was also told that there is plate behind the actuator that you must hold in place while replacing the old with the new or "gears will fall out". I have worked on replacing actuators before on GM vehicles but this one is in a place that is tougher to get to than any of the older models.
Any procedures or suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Kelly Allen
Thursday, May 1st, 2014 AT 6:52 PM

Here is a guide and some diagram (below) to help you get the job done:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

Here is some instruction from the book:

Removal Procedure:
Fig. 42: View Of Floor Air Outlet Duct Extension To Floor Air Duct
Remove the floor air outlet duct extension (1) from the floor duct (2).
Fig. 43: Identifying Electrical Connectors
Disconnect the electrical connection at the mode actuator (10).
Fig. 44: View Of Mode Actuator
Remove the mode actuator mounting screws from the HVAC module.
Remove the mode actuator as an assembly with the actuator cam.
the mode actuator is on passenger side. move the seat back as far as you can helps to get in there. but try pulling fuse first for hvac sometimes it resets the actuators.

Check out the diagrams (below).

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
-2
Friday, May 2nd, 2014 AT 6:23 AM
KDALLEN
I appreciate the diagram, I was hoping not to have to pull the instrument bezel and the kick panel to get to the actuator. I have found a video on YouTube, even though it is on a 2001 Tahoe.

They are almost identical and they use the same actuator: https://youtu.be/Eqf-H3COtSo

I suppose, failing all else, I will use the 2Carpros video for replacing mine. Thanks you guys I love this site.
+6
Friday, May 2nd, 2014 AT 11:13 AM
KEN
Use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 AT 6:43 PM
SHREKETTE62
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Hi, I just replaced the blend door actuator. When I turn on the air conditioner I have to have the knob in the heater position and to turn on the heater it has to be in the air conditioner position. What did I do wrong?
Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 AT 7:01 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9
Try that key. Let me know how it goes.
BOB BROWN2
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • TURBO
I was replacing my mode door actuator and inadvertently pulled the (for lack of a better term) "guide plate" out with it that controls where the air is directed when the actuator moves. I cannot find any information anywhere on how to realign everything when reinstalling the actuator/plate. Help! I am short on time!
+1
There are two different ones so I am sending one and hope it is right. I looked at other and it is same or appears that way. If you hook it up like picture I think it may be right.
BOB BROWN2
Thanks. While waiting for a response, I crammed myself under the dash and fiddled with it. I am not sure I could do it a second time, but I actually got it in correctly by accident, lol. A bit of advice for anyone else that was stuck in my predicament without plugging in the wires to the new actuator, you can turn the car/truck on and turn your fan on high. Then turn the dial on the controls to the defrost option and reach under the dash to manually manipulate the gear/door so that it directs air through the defrost. The moving air will hold it in place allowing you to (hopefully) fit the new actuator and guide plate in correctly and (again hopefully) aligned. Anyway, that worked for me.
+1
It is not fun going under dashes.
BUD MAN
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
V8 two wheel drive automatic 266,000 miles.

Control nob on dash will not change from heat to cool. Replaced blend motor. No luck. Replaced in dash control module. No luck. Is there anything else in the system other than wiring that might be the problem?
-1
Have you checked to see if you are getting power to the parts you replaced?
BUD MAN
Tried checking for voltage at the plug on the blend motor. Not sure what I was doing. I am not that sharp on auto electrical. I bought a motor manual for my truck with wiring diagrams but not sure how to read it.
Were you able to get voltage at the plug?
BUD MAN
I checked the wiring diagram again. Coming out of the control module I have wires going to the blend motor. Grey which is five volt reference, light blue which is feed back, dark blue which is temperature signal, black which is ground, and brown which is ignition power. I tested for power at the blend motor plug. I got five volts on the grey wire and 12.5 volts on the brown wire. I do not know if I should get voltage on the dark blue wire for temperature signal or not. I got nothing on the feed back light grey wire.
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a heating problem. The heat actuator if you remove one without disconnecting the power is that one now junk? Also, I am replacing a new temperature actuator. Where does the temperature have to be on the control knob hot or cold when I install the new one?
That sounds right. I think the blend motor itself is bad.
WRENCHTECH
No, disconnecting it with the power on will not harm is although you should always disconnect the power as it has to calibrate when the power is reconnected.
Put the control in whatever position makes the motor line up with the shaft.
BUD MAN
The blend motor and the in dash control module are both new. The blend motor was the first thing I suspected and replaced. When that did not solve the problem I suspected the control module and replaced it. I guess you can get a brand new part that is defective.
+1
Is there a way to run power direct to the motor to see if it works?
-1
DRJGT59
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
How do you get to the screws that hold the actuator onto the box? I have replaced the actuator on the mode door and now the temperature actuator has gone south. I was able to get at one of the retaining screws but the second one looks impossible without major dash panel removal and/or some serious brace cutting and removal. Any insight on how to access this second screw would be helpful.
Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 AT 7:02 PM (Merged)