Key Won't Turn in Ignition

DHSCATCHER13
  • 2001 CHEVROLET MALIBU
I have a 2001 Malibu. I can put the key into the ignition but the key won't turn. It won't move past the off position. My steering wheel isn't locked and won't lock no matter how I turn It. The gear shift is in the park position and won't shift into any other gear. The break also seems to be much harder to push than normal. I have no idea what is causing this. I recently disconnected the ac panel from the dash to repair the a/c button because it was sticking. After repairing it I started having the problem with the ignition. Any idea what it could be? I do have a security system that came on the car. Maybe that's causing it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Monday, September 10th, 2012 AT 8:19 PM

KHLOW2008
It sounds like you have a key tumbler that has gone out and needs to be replaced here is a guided to help you get the job done.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
-1
Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 AT 6:46 AM
PETETIMPSON
My 2001 Malibu has an ignition problem. The key is in the off position. The shifter is in park. The steering wheel moves freely. I have seen numerous videos/comments about changing the switch and/or tumbler. Most of these say that the key must be in the "on" position. If the situation is like mine. I am glad I asked you because once I replaced the tumbler the car is working perfect! Thanks 2Carpros
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 AT 11:29 PM
KHLOW2008
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.
Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013 AT 6:01 PM