KEY WON'T TURN IN IGNITION

• DHSCatcher13
  • 2001 Chevrolet Malibu

I have a 2001 Malibu. I can put the key into the ignition but the key won't turn. It won't move past the off position. My steering wheel isn't locked and won't lock no matter how I turn It. The gear shift is in the park position and won't shift into any other gear. The break also seems to be much harder to push than normal. I have no idea what is causing this. I recently disconnected the ac panel from the dash to repair the a/c button because it was sticking. After repairing it I started having the problem with the ignition. Any idea what it could be? I do have a security system that came on the car. Maybe that's causing it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, September 10th, 2012 AT 8:19 PM

• KHLow2008

Either you have the wrong key or the lock cylinder has failed.

-1
Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 AT 6:46 AM
  • petetimpson

My 2001 Malibu has an ignition problem. The key is in the off position. The shifter is in park. The steering wheel moves freely. I have seen numerous videos/comments about changing the switch and/or tumbler. Most of these say that the key must be in the "on" position. If the situation is like mine. What should I do? Change the entire switch and tumbler with new keys? If so, will they be able to be programmed into the system? Many thanks in advance

Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 AT 11:29 PM
  • KHLow2008

Check with a locksmith. He might be able to repair the tumblers without requirement of any reprogramming.

Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013 AT 6:01 PM