SHIFTER LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier

zena13

April, 5, 2011 AT 4:17 AM

How do you adjust the automatic transmission shift linkage on an 01 Cavalier? It will not fully go into park. When the shifter appears to be locked into park I can manually move the lever on the transaxle and it will then go into park. Reverse is neutral etc.

rivermikerat

April, 5, 2011 AT 6:31 AM

You'll need to remove the center console. There is a park lock cable adjuster and solenoid. Turn the ignition key to "Run" without starting the car. Compress the adjuster body at the base of the shifter and release it. Depress the button on the top of the adjuster to lock the cable and check for proper operation.

zena13

April, 5, 2011 AT 3:21 PM

I do not believe that it is the park lock cable. I think that the problem is with the shifter cable. It does not go forward far enough to move the shift lever on transaxle fully into park.

rivermikerat

April, 5, 2011 AT 10:07 PM

Loosen the cable clamp at the transaxle, shift the lever all the way into Park, verify that you have to unlock it by pushing the button on the shifter, then make sure the trans is in Park also and tighten the adjuster.

steve28313

October, 17, 2014 AT 5:59 AM

I also have same problem on my 98 cavalier. Every time I wanba park I have to manually pull the shift linkage to put it in park. The gear shifter goes all way to park on it but only puts it in reverse. If bolt that holds shift linkage is to tight will that cause not to shift into park?

rivermikerat

October, 17, 2014 AT 7:35 AM

It could, but only if it's not allowing the linkage to go all the way into Park. Follow the steps outlined above.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement