I am experiencing some electronic issues with a 2001 Chevy Cavalier

JOE MCGREGOR
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I can't get my scan tool to link to the computer on a 2001 Cavalier, It won't even power up, but the scan tool works fine with other OBD II vehicles, also the headlamp {RH side} is very dim, and only has 8 volts on the low beam wire. Could there be something wrong with the body control module as well as the powertrain control module as well? I ran a jumper wire to the dim headlight from the working LH side low beam, could this have caused a problem? I forgot to mention, that the service engine as well as the check engine lights are both on. Help please!
Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 5:08 PM

DAN_K
I believe we are dealing with 2 separate concerns, here. Have you checked the fuse for the data link connector (DLC)? 8 volts at the low beam would indicate high resistance in the connector or the wire (if the battery is at a full state of charge). I would recommend performing voltage drop tests on the headlamp circuit to determine the area of high resistance.
Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 5:55 PM