ACCELERATING ON ITS OWN

2001 Cadillac DTS

ryanrenwah

February, 9, 2011 AT 8:28 AM

My 2001 Cadillac DTS accelerates/maintains speed after I release the gas pedal. It will maintain driving speed on its own and speed up on downgrades without pressing the gas pedal. When I brake it will still slightly accelerate til I come to a complete stop. When I come to a complete stop, it feels like it burps and the acceleration stops until I press the gas, then it starts again. Also sometimes/rarely it will rev in park up to 2-3000 rpms (staying constant) without pressing the gas. What do I need to check to remedy this problem?

factoryjack

February, 10, 2011 AT 4:28 AM

First of all, is there a check engine light associated with the concern. This may lead you in a direction.

ryanrenwah

February, 10, 2011 AT 6:29 AM

My check engine light has been on for almost 2 years now. It's on because I have the PCM codes P0741 and P1860. I know these are for the TCC being stuck off and solenoid circuit. I have ran the self diagnostics and those are still the only current codes coming up. I replaced the throttle position sensor today, but it didn't help.

factoryjack

February, 17, 2011 AT 3:24 AM

It sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. A possible source for an intermittent leak is the plenum boot between the throttle housing and the intake. Vacuum changes within the intake can cause this leak to change, as it is a split in the rubber.

ryanrenwah

February, 17, 2011 AT 6:21 AM

I figured it out. The plastic clip on my cruise control cable was the culprit. When I pressed the accelerator it would tug the accelerator cable which was attached to the cruise control cable and in turn would tug the cruise control cable clip out of the throttle body. Then the clip would not seat properly and the car would continuously accelerate. Thank you for the info and your time gstacey.

factoryjack

February, 18, 2011 AT 3:35 AM

That definately would cause it, it could have created a potentially dangerous condition.