TRANSMISSION CONTROL SOLENOID?

2001 Buick Century

cohenstudios

June, 30, 2012 AT 10:14 PM

Whenever my car is placed in drive (auto trans.), It revs, but will not accelerate. It may as well be in neutral. However, if I manually shift the vehicle down to first, then up to second, then third, it will still accelerate like normal, I just have to shift myself, and 3rd is the limit (plus it turns off the traction control). Reverse works as well.

Some co-workers of mine who are a bit more mechanically savvy than me informed me that what could be a good reason for this is that the transmission control solenoid is kaput, so it may be worth replacing before putting the investment into a new tranny.

I drained out the transmission fluid, and it was on the dark side (think cranberry sauce at thanksgiving, minus the chunks). But was unable to find the TCS. I'm thinking it's on the side of the transmission, rather than underneath inside the pan.

So, my question really boils down to 2 things:

A.) Does it seem like a TCS problem, or is this one of those things where I need to suck it up and start looking for a used tranny?

B.) If it is the TCS, where would I be able to find it on a 2001 Buick Century to replace?

Best regards,
Max

saturntech9

June, 30, 2012 AT 10:49 PM

What size engine do you have?Most likely its under the side cover on the drivers side of the car. Have you checked for codes yet?

cohenstudios

June, 30, 2012 AT 11:17 PM

It's a 3.1L V6 engine. I did run the OBD on it, however nothing transmission related came up. The Autozone guy told me that it's not always 100% so I do have my doubts.

saturntech9

June, 30, 2012 AT 11:54 PM

I would have it scanned somewhere else to be sure. If its not moving in drive I would do a prseeure test on the transmission.

cohenstudios

July, 1, 2012 AT 4:09 AM

I'll give that a try then. I sincerely appreciate your time!

saturntech9

July, 1, 2012 AT 4:11 AM

Your welcome thats what were here for.