HOW TO RELEASE TENSION WHEN REPLACING BELT?

2000 Volvo XC70

k3cxcbernie

February, 9, 2012 AT 11:22 PM

VOLVLO 5CYL V70: SERPENTINE BELT INSTALLATION. HOW TO RELEASE EXCESS TENSION WHEN PLACING NEW BELT. THE SLIGHT MOVEMENT OF THE TENSIONER ( 5MM/ 3/16" ) DOES NOT ALLOW FITTING. IS SOMETHING MISSING, OR 'AN UNSPOKEN STEP?? ROUTING VERIFIED/ AS REMOVED & REPLACED?

VOLVO 5 CYLINDER, NON-TURBO AWD.

JIS001

February, 10, 2012 AT 3:01 AM

It is a very tight fit in there. Remove the 2 14mm bolts in the front engine pad and remove the upper torque mount bar on top of the engine. Using a floor jack and a pieve of 2x4 so you wont damage the oil pan, jack up the engine. That will give you way more room to work with. To get the belt on you need to make sure the belt is on properly on all pulleys. If it is half way say like the A/C it makes it seem like the belt is too short. The easiest way will be to slide the belt last on the tensioner roller since it is smooth. You can get it on the power steering pulley last but it is very hard and I have mastered it by tilting the engine back and making sure the belt is on properly on all pulleys. Hope this helps you out. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.

k3cxcbernie

February, 10, 2012 AT 12:53 PM

Hope to have opportunity to complete 'project' this evening. Your explanation characterizes my situation exceptionally well. THANK YOU, JIS001. Have been self-maintainer of VOLVO since '74, 145 wagon. First 'serpentine' replacement. Put 270000 on my '85 740, wagon (first year prod.) And drove it to 'junk yard & scavenged materials for subsequent VOLVO's

JIS001

February, 11, 2012 AT 11:27 PM

Just checking to see how your project went. Hope you got the belt in with no problems.

k3cxcbernie

February, 24, 2012 AT 5:50 PM

Pivot /spring arm pulled with LONGER wrench (leverage ) moves easily and task completed as desired. Thank you s/ Bernie

rivermikerat

February, 27, 2012 AT 7:04 PM

Our pleasure, Bernie. Please be sure to tell your friends about us.

Closing thread.

Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement Ford
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML